5 Tips for Taking Your Own Business Profile Photo
The online business world is fast and furious. Make sure that you are making your best first impression with a great head shot. You can do a pretty decent job of taking your own photos if you follow these tips…
1. Don’t literally try and take it yourself! There’s not much worse than a “selfie” on a LinkedIn profile. What is worse is the selfie taken using the computer-cam -yuk! Find a friend who can hold a smart phone at least! Try and use someone that you feel relaxed with, if you are nervous it will show in your photo.
2. Think about your image. What message are you wanting to send? Are you dressed appropriately? Are you formal enough (or casual enough) for the audience that you are wanting to attract. Get a haircut, wear make-up (ladies). This is the time to put in some effort.
3. Get the light right. You don’t need to have fancy studio lights, but you do need lots of indirect natural light. Lean against a shaded doorframe facing outwards and have your friend stand outside to take the photo. Or sit facing a large window but make sure that you are not actually in the sun.
4. Check the background. If you use either of the 2 situations above, you should find that the background is naturally darker and less noticeable. All the same, make sure you have a critical look at the background of your shot to make sure your dirty laundry is not on the floor!
5. Pose a little bit. There are some tricks to looking better on camera. Turn slightly side on and bring your face back around to the camera, tilt your head slightly. This will make you look slimmer. Lean into the camera very slightly – this is friendlier in an online shot. You can sit or stand but don’t slouch. Think warm happy thoughts – ask your camera-person to joke around so that you have a more natural smile. Lean against a table or door frame, play around to see what looks best on you.
Although you can do itself, having a professional photo taken can be money very well spent. Professionals know how to get the best out of you and make you look and feel fabulous. Professional photographers also know how to enhance your images and make you look your best.
You may be losing business through a poor profile photograph, and a couple of hundred dollars to make the best impression is well worth the small investment.